Braselton Family Studio Session | First Birthday Milestone Session
When clients arrive at the studio in Clarkesville, GA for the first time it can feel a little intimidating for little toddlers. An all white room with a stranger inside doesn’t seem super inviting to someone already learning and developing what it means to trust a person. That is exactly why at the beginning of each session, I try my best to connect with each child and learn a little about them. I pull out a few toys or blocks and get on their level. I let them explore the space, and give them time to get comfortable before I ever pull my camera out. Sometimes it takes a little while for them to warm up, but typically before we know it there is laughter echoing the studio.
This little guy Emmanuel (Manny) was no exception. When meeting this family for the first time at the beginning of their session he was incredibly sweet but timid. It took some time once we started shooting for him to warm up, but you can see a shift in the images when he started to feel comfortable. I absolutely love how this session turned out and what we were able to capture during our time together. I feel like this family's connection and love for one another is undeniable in these images.
So, if you are planning a milestone or family session, what should you do if your little one isn’t a fan of the camera or is notoriously shy?
1. Don’t force it- we all know that toddlers don’t love being told what to do. There is no better way to ensure a fight than forcing your toddler to sit still and look at a camera and smile.
2. Bring along some of their favorite things- snack, toy, book, or music. I’m a big fan of playing music during sessions with little ones.
3. Give them time to warm up to their environment. There is no rush to get in and get started.
4. Lower your expectations to control the situation. I like to say that family sessions are playdates in pretty clothes. So although we will get the classic portraits of everyone looking at the camera and smiling, the session is more about capturing your love and connection and not being stiff and forced into smiling.
5. Play games- During your session I’ll prompt you to play together. Tickle fights, patty cake, eskimo kisses, staring contests, etc. HAVE FUN during your session and loosen up!
6. Leave the rest to me- My hope is that instead of leaving the session wondering if I captured anything, that you leave your session saying- that was so fun, I didn’t even realize she was taking our photos half of the time!
Hello Jude Photography provides newborn photography in North Georgia for busy moms who want a stress-free and luxury portrait experience. Also offering maternity, family, and baby photography, our studio is located in the heart of Clarkesville, between Clayton and Gainesville. We serve families in Habersham, White, Stephens, Hall, Rabun, Banks, Jackson, Gwinnett, Forsyth, and Dekalb Counties, and all throughout the North Georgia region.
We offer a high-end, full service experience including a pre-session consultation, exclusive access to the carefully curated Studio Wardrobe and cozy bright and airy studio space, a beautiful gallery of story-telling images, and an array of family heirlooms such as albums, prints, custom framing and more to pass down to your children. If you are searching for the perfect maternity, birth, newborn or family portrait photographer near Clarkesville and are wanting to create heirlooms for your family, we can’t wait to serve you.